Many people are travelling with the sole purpose of seeking great places to surf. It is a great way to enjoy the nature, as well as being physically active. Here are things that you should do:
- Improve your physical performance and fitness: Surfing can be quite demanding physically and if you are fit, you will be able to enjoy the experience better. Before the scheduled surfing trip, you should engage in proper cardiovascular exercises. It’s also a good idea to perform stretching activities like pilates or yoga. When exercising, your heart rate should be brought up to moderately high pace. Improve your muscle strength and keep the malleable, so you can resist cramps better.
- Learn how to swim well: You will need to swim against big waves, so you need practice on doing power swimming, by improving the strength of your shoulders and arms. Surfing isn’t recommended for poor swimmers, because you will need to deal with strong current. Squeeze in some swimming lessons, if you know that you can’t tread water properly. Surfing is a hectic activity and you will need to be fully trained for everything. To be a good swimmer, you should work hard to strengthen your stamina. You will need to know how to proper survive in the water, with or without your surfing board. Practice in your local beach to improve your skill. The waves may not be as powerful, but you still can be better prepared. Good exercise program should include soft jumps, balance and squats.
- Learn how to paddle: Paddling is essential when you surf. With powerful paddling, you can quickly ride on the great waves. You can also move away from dangerous locations, as an example, when waves become too big or the current is too strong. You need to strengthen muscles of your shoulders and arms in the gym. You could be surprised at how difficult it is to addle when you’re lying face down. You need strength and stamina to paddle consistently at proper pace. It isn’t really necessary to spend much money on fitness program at gym. There are exercises at home that can help you to achieve strong, lean physique. Surfing is a complete body sport, so you need to prepare your mental performance as well.
- Understand your equipment: Any professional surfer would say that you need to be one with your surf board. Don’t use it as a floatation tool, but make it as a part of your body. It takes enough skill to use surf board properly. Make sure that you choose the most appropriate surf board, based on your physical conditions and skill level. The surf board should be well balanced, it shouldn’t be too long or too short. With the right kind of board, you can properly distribute your weight.
- Learn about safety features: Even if you are skilled and experienced, surfing is still a fairly risky business. When the waves are powerful and the current is too strong, then it’s time to leave Mother Nature alone. We should respect the nature and never attempt to beat it.